Send us an inquiry

Back to weddings page

Wedding Services

Weddings FAQs     

Wedding FAQs

These questions and answers taken documents issued by the Vermont Dept. of Health and various Vermont govt. websites.

How do we get married in Vermont?
Before your ceremony, you will need to get a Vermont marriage license. The state of Vermont no longer requires pre-marital blood tests.

Where do we get a marriage license?
If both the bride and groom are Vermont residents, you may go to the Town Clerk in either town of residence. If just one of you is a Vermont resident, you must go to the Town Clerk of the resident's hometown.

What if we are not Vermont residents?
Out of state residents can get their license in any Town Clerks office in Vermont.

Link to Killington town clerk's office.

How much does a marriage license cost?
A Vermont marriage license costs $45.00, which includes a Certified Copy of the License.

How old must we be to be married in Vermont?
You may get married in Vermont if you are 18 years old. If you are at least 16, but under 18, you will need a parent or guardian's consent. Your parent or guardian should accompany you to the Town Clerk's office to sign an affidavit giving you permission to marry. If you are under the age of 16, you may not get married without a certificate from a Probate or District Court Judge in your county of residence giving you permission to marry. No one under the age of 14 may marry in Vermont.

Are there any other marriage restrictions?
Anyone under guardianship cannot marry without guardian consent. Vermont does not allow marriage of relatives. Relatives include mother, father, grandparent, sister, brother, grandchild, aunt, uncle, niece and nephew. You cannot get married in Vermont to avoid laws of another state where you intend to continue residing. If you need further cl ari fication, contact your Town Clerk or the Vermont Department of Health, Vital Records Unit.

What information do we need to purchase a marriage license in Vermont?
You must know your legal town of residence and your place and date of birth. You will also need to know your parents' names, including your mother's maiden name, and the states where your parents were born. Vermont law requires that at least one of you must sign in the presence of the Town Clerk, certifying that all facts are correct. However, most Town Clerks prefer to see both of you in person before issuing you license to marry, as the law requires that they satisfy themselves that you are both free to marry under Vermont laws. They may legally ask to see documented proof of your statements, for example birth certificates, divorce decrees, etc. A Vermont marriage license cannot be issued through the mail.

What statistical information will I need to provide?
You will need to provide information about your race, the highest grade you completed in school, the number of times you have been married and how your previous marriage(s), if any, ended. This information is used by Vital Records for statistical information and does not become part of the marriage certificate.

What if either of us has been married before?
If you are a widow/widower, you will be asked the date your spouse died. If you are divorced, the Town Clerk can, by law, ask to see your divorce decree before issuing your marriage license.

How soon can we marry once we have our license?
There is no waiting period in the state of Vermont. A couple may marry on the same day they purchase their license.

How long is our marriage license valid?
Your marriage license is valid for 60 days from the date of issue.

Where can we get married?
If you are a resident or non-resident, you may be married anywhere in the state.

Who can marry us?
A Judge, Justice of the Peace, or a member of the clergy recognized by the State of Vermont. A Priest, Minister, or Rabbi from another state can marry you in Vermont by obtaining a temporary certificate of authorization from the Vermont Secretary of State. The form and additional information is here.

Killington Justices of The Peace are listed on the Killington Town web page

What do we do with the license?
You must deliver the license to the person who will conduct your wedding ceremony (officiant) before the marriage can be performed. After the ceremony, the officiant will complete and sign your license, and return it to the Town Clerk's office where it was issued. It is not a complete legal document until it has been recorded in the Town Clerk's office where it was purchased.

Do we need witnesses?
Vermont law does not require witnesses.

How do we get a copy of the marriage certificate?
You can request a copy from the Town Clerk or the Vermont Department of Health, Vital Records Unit.

 Reference: VT Dept. of Health - Getting Married in Vermont