On this page, jump to:
Trips with Kids
Breweries & Wineries
Cross Country Skiing
Spring, Summer, Fall
Hiking -- Mountain Meadows Lodge is on the Appalachian Trail (AT), the 2100-mile hiking trail (foot path) that runs from Georgia to Maine. We are just off the Long Trail, the 270-mile trail that runs the length of Vermont, and alongside Kent Pond at Gifford Woods State Park, so from our lakeside lodge you can take a short hike to nearby waterfalls or set out on an all-day excursion. We've got a hiking guide at the lodge with maps for you to take. The Town of Killington Parks and Recreation Department, 802-422-3932, offers free guided hikes to area attractions!
Excursions -- You can consider a tour through Vermont's backroads.
In summer or fall consider riding the gondola to the top of Killington Peak or having loads of fun at the Pico Adventure Center. Both mountains are only 10 minutes away.
For a treat visit Quechee Gorge, where the Ottauquechee River plunges into a narrow, rocky cleft 165 feet deep and over a mile in length. There's even rock-climbing outdoor at deer's leap and indoor) within minutes of the Lodge.
Mountain Biking --
- Just 5 miles up the road is Killington Resort with all levels of mountain biking. While there are many beginner trails (start at Snowshed), one option is mountain biking down Killington Mountain: you climb aboard the K-1 gondola
and ride to the top of the mountain. Then you bike down (and try not to die).
- In in the next town north, Pittsfield VT, is The Green Mountain Trails, a multiuse network of flowy singletrack over varied terrain.
- New trails are under development on the other side of Kent Pond by The Killington Mountain Bike Club. As of May 2017 a good-size sectionis open. Here's a Map
- In nearby Rutland, Vermont, Pine Hill Park, has 300 ares with a 16 mile single-track trail system. The park is stewarded by the Pine Hill Partnership, a non-profit organization run by volunteers.
- Less than 10 miles north on Rt. 100 from Mountain Meadows Lodge is a popular mountain biking spot called the Contest Trail off Liberty Hill Rd. Get there by finding Forest Road 223, located 2.4 miles south of Rochester off Vermont Route 100.
In this area there are opportunities for loop travel and great views.
- A little further away, about 28 miles, are 265 miles of mapped trails in the White River Valley. You can get on in Randolph Vermont.
Killington's Adventure Center has a coaster, disc golf, motorized tours, Roaring Brook mining. scenic lift rides, skyejump paddle boardsing, a high ropes course, a terra-maze, and a mountain bike park.
Here's an overview
Fishing -- The lake right outside your window is stocked with trout and bass. You can get a fishing license online. We've got some fishing poles for the kids. The Vermont
Fish and Game hosts kids fishing events as well.
Golf -- Lots of options
Disc golf -- Right next door is an awesome disc golf course!
What is disc golf?
Vermont's Covered Bridges -- If there is one image that defines New England and perhaps Vermont itself, certainly it must be the covered bridge. There's a nice selection of covered bridges within a few minutes drive of Mountain Meadows Lodge. The closest ones are just south of Pittsfield, and just west of Woodstock.
Vermont attractions - great for kids
Microbreweries -- Long Trail Brewery is just down the street and Magic Hat, Otter Creek, and Harpoon Brewery are not too far away.
Vermont Wine -- Vermont Wines tracks and shares news and information about wine in Vermont. There's a list of local wineries at this web site as well as a calendar of events involving Vermont wineries
CrossCountry Skiing -- 31K of cross-country skiing or snow shoeing at Mountain Meadows Cross Country Ski. Ski out the door onto Kent Pond or off into the wilderness. You can even arrange kite-boarding or kite-skiing on the lake!
Downhill Skiing -- For downhill enthusiasts there are many opportunities. Less than five miles from Mountain Meadows Lodge are two downhill ski resorts: Killington (Killington trail map) and Pico (Pico trail map). Another nearby mountain is Okemo Mountain in Ludlow, Vermont - only 22 miles away. All three resorts offer loads of skiing and boarding options, lessons, and other activites.
The Catamount Trail -- Mountain Meadows Lodge is only about a mile from the Catamount Trail on which you can ski the length of Vermont. We're close to Section 13 and there is parking at the trailhead.
SnowMobiling -- Mountain Meadows Lodge is close to the VAST network of snowmobile trails. The Chittendon Dam area is a popualr parking spot if you have your own equipment.
If not, you can rent from Killington Snow Mobile Tours and take a tour close to the Lodge.
Food, drink, stores, museums, theaters, recreation, and Vermont-related attactions are all nearby in the Killington/Rutland area.
Our web pages
A Perfect Country Wedding
Beautiful lake-side wedding venue in the heart of the Green Mountains. Weddings of any size in any season.
Acres of lakeside meadow with barn and farm animals surrounded by beautiful scenery.
Charming Country Inn in the heart of the Green Mountains for your scrapbooking weekend.
A Perfect Winter Wedding
Beautiful lake-side wedding venue in the heart of the Green Mountains. Weddings of any size in winter.
Acres of lakeside snow-covered meadow with barn surrounded by beautiful mountains.